Mar 29, 2009

Late Night Pondering...

Today was not the best day. I learn something about myself every time I have a bad day though, which is an up side to a bad day? ha i'm not sure how that one works. But today I learned that I become sort of an egg instead of a coffee bean when I don't have the best days. And when I am mad or sad- it eventually turns into bitterness.
Let me explain the egg and coffee bean analogy. When we were at our last tournament at ASU our coach gave us a little story to read, everyone was laughing under their breath like oh great just another stupid thing coach does but I secretly liked the story a lot. It was about a mom talking to her daughter that was going through a hard time. The mother took three small pots, filled them each with water and put them on the stove. In one she put an egg, in the other some coffee beans and in the last one some baby carrots. They sit in silence or something, go skiing I'm not sure-basically time passes. The mom then tells the daughter to observe each pot and tell her what she sees. "uhh..some carrots..." then the mom asks her to really look, she feels the carrots and how soft they are, she breaks the egg and notices it has become solid inside then the mom asks her to try the coffee, and she "smiled as she tasted its rich aroma" haha - ya it's on my wall. So anyway the point: each object had the same adversity-boiling water but they all reacted differently to it. I'll leave the rest of interpreting symbols up to you but
I really like this part "If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you instead of letting it change you. When the hours are the darkest and trials are their greatest do you elevate to another level?" If only I could be a coffee bean all the time. I would definitely be kickin back in a hammock somewhere not writing in a blog. Now, ask yourself...are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?
hahaha I couldn't resist the rhetorical question. Alright so...I'll stop being coach for a second I'm beginning to poke my own eye out. (SHOUT OUT EM AND E hahaha) anyway i forgot my overarching brilliant theme to this post but it's late or early and I'm tired which is a miracle, I haven't been able to sleep so well lately. goodnight

4 comments:

  1. i love your shout outs haha. but sorry bout the bad day. we always have cedar to cheer us up! ha but i love you ken! that counts for something right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, it's a little weird hearing my little Kendel talk like this, you are still the little fifth grader to me. I love that story. Sounds like you have an amazing coach! Keep up on the blog, I love hearing about you! You are pretty amazing. Maybe if the sun comes back life will seem a little brighter for all of us. Love you Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. coffee bean egg carrot. interesting. love you ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I'll always be your little fifth grader at heart Tara! thanks I love all you guys!

    ReplyDelete